Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/2495: mountd does not like any lines but the first one (/etc/exports)

The following reply was made to PR bin/2495; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To: root@blackfire.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG,
        GNATS Management <gnats@freefall.freebsd.org>,
        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:40:58 -0800 (PST)

 On 14 Jan 1997 root@blackfire.com wrote:

 > >Synopsis:       mountd does not like any lines in /etc/exports except 1st one

 [...]

 > 	This prvents me from being able to mount any directories except first
 > 	one.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > 	Use the following /etc/exports:
 > /usr/home	-maproot=0	ai
 > /usr/local/bin	-maproot=0	ai
 > /usr/local/etc	-maproot=0	ai
 > /usr/local/sbin	-maproot=0	ai
 >
 > Directories can be individually removed, ANY of the above works if it is the
 > FIRST entry.  The '-maproot=0' can be removed with no effect on 2-4 lines.
 >
 > Client gives access denied errors.  If mountd is compiled from FreeBSD-current
 > source, with the DEBUG define, it gives the following output:
 > (I have put a star before each line that appears in the logs when compiled
 > without DEBUG)

 I hate to say it but read the mn page for mountd...  you will notice that
 you can only have ONE line that modifies a file system for a host...
 i.e..  to fix about have your /etc/exports like:
 /usr/home /usr/local/bin /usr/local/etc /usr/local/sbin -maproot=0 ai

 basicly...  I usually recommend using just one line per host... unless you
 want the permissions for all hosts...  also note...  say you have
 something like this:

 /usr/home systema
 /usr/anon/ftp

 this will export ONLY /usr/home to systema, but to everyone else can
 access /usr/anon/ftp...  this is a limitation of mountd/nfs (I'm not sure
 exactly were the limitation is)...

 hope this helps...

 John-Mark

 gurney_j@efn.org
 http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
 Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

 Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)