Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 03:26:59 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, dyson@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za, peter@freebsd.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, wpaul@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

>> Until drivers export tables to say which fields they use, userconfig
>> should display all fields, leaving the ones with value "none" blank,
>> and accept input "?" to give fields with value "?" (which unfortunately
>> have to be displayed as blank except for the port field).
>
>I think it would be reasonable to lump "?" and "none" under the euphemism
>"auto" for now.  The key '?' is already taken (help screen) in another
>context, and 'a' is valid hex.  Would 'x' be acceptable?

I'd like 0x to mean hex and blanking out the 0x prompt to work.  Then
entering a blank field could mean "auto"/"none".

You could still use "?" unless you want to introduce help in editing
context.  It would be as natural for Del to delete fields as well drivers
(i.e., unnatural :-).  Del is fairly useless as an editing key (unless
the Backspace key generates it) since the field editor is so primitive
that Del is equivalent to Backspace.

Bruce