Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:38:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jdp@polstra.com, dg@root.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF ABI tagging

>  > For the people who define the ABI in the first place, or for the
>  > follow-on people (like us) who want to tweak it?
>  >
>  > Seriously, there's no real reson an ABI could not be standardized
>  > other than everyone wants to be the one to define the thing and
>  > thinks everyone else should follow the trail that they beat.
>
> Well... Setting the ABI in stone isn't terribly _interesting_.
> Besides, I don't _like_ SVR4.  :-)

Neither do I.  On the other hand, having commercial user applications
for a UNIX desktop would be a general win for everyone, not just the
SVR4 weenies trying to define the standard ABI in such a way as to
cause the most catch-up work for their non-SVR4-licensed competition.

I would be willing to trade strict ABI control for an extention
interface to an ABI over which I have no direct control, and a lot
of nice applications being available for purchase at the local
Egghead Software or Software Etc., or Softsel, or...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---