Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 01:11:53 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty patches

J Wunsch writes:
> As David Nugent wrote:
>
> > I have implemented the following in /usr/libexec/getty:
>
> Ah, you're going to bloat^H^H^H^H^Hdevelop our getty into another
> mgetty?  :)

No. No fax handling, no unidirectional ports - just standard
dialin, no large config file to parse, no "above and beyond
the call of duty" featuritis at all, and 1/3 the size in
memory and disk requirements of mgetty.

> IMO, this approach is a lot less cleaner than the default behaviour
> that assumes the modem knows about its DTE speed, and can autoanswer.

After many years of running a dialin service of some form,
I strongly disagree. Knowing that the modem is alive and
working, answering only if it is "alive" is often critical
to a system's modus operandi. Some basic modem handling
requirements are not all that much 'bloat', imho.

OTOH, mgetty is certainly bloated from the pov of the
functionality I need in 99.999% of cases.

> A better alternate solution is to define an additional port option for
> the dialin port that allows to pick up the port already at the first
> raising edge of the RI signal (ring indicator), by taking this as a
> ``pseudo-carrier''.

Maybe. I've never found this particularly reliable, whether
due to incorrectly wired cables (RS232, the 'standard' that
everyone implements differently) or buggy serial hardware.

> OTOH, an outgoing call won't be disturbed at all by this scenario
> (unlike with the continously listening getty).  The open() on the
> dialin device will be suspended as soon as the open() on the dialout
> device succeeds, so the owner of the dialout device can do what he
> wants during this period.  Sure, there's still the race that a RING
> happens just in this moment, but that's what you gotta live with by
> sharing one modem for dialin and dialout anyway.

BTW, I'm happy to implement this if someone comes up with the RI
detection in open(). An O_RI on open, perhaps? This would be fairly
trivial to fold into the patches as they exist now - just an extra
line or two in opentty() to add the flag.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/