Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 02:21:53 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/2664: elm methodically writes garbage into folders

>Number:         2664
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       elm methodically writes garbage into folders
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	setgid mail, dot locking + flock(), NFS 3
	FBSD 2.2-current thru 3.0-current
	elm 2.4ME+25 ?? thru 2.4ME+30 (+++?)
	It has been like this for about 5 months or so.

	elm writes into a mailbox being opened with 'elm -f =folder',
	replacing text many times with stuff like:

>How-To-Repeat:

	I have not deliberately caused this behaviour to repeat.

>Fix:

	Don't use elm, this is likely to be an elm problem after all.
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
Adam David
>>> From adam Wed Feb  5 01:24:37 1997

	into the middle of messages, sometimes trashing the headers and
	sometimes trashing the message text. Each occurence has the same
	date, which is the time of command invocation (it gradually
	incremented by 4 seconds while perusing a few hundred messages
	on a slow network). Status: varies, and is likely copied from the
	existing messages. I can think of no valid operation that would
	cause this behaviour as a side effect (headers are written into
	the folder while it is being opened, stamped from "myself, now").