Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:30:22 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org, mdurkin@tsoft.net
Subject:   Re: bin/2256: PPP process on port will not close when an NT user has diconnected after a session.

> I've seen the same problem, and modems are definately configured correctly.
> I'm not sure if the bug is in mgetty or the Cyclades driver (I haven't checked
> to see if it exists with sio as well).

The Cyclades driver had buggy carrier handling in CLOCAL mode (which
is mainly used by ppp and mgetty).  This was fixed a on 1996/12/5, so
its status is:

	pre-2.1.6: broken
	2.1.6R: broken (release built on 1996/11/24)
	-stable: broken (branch was dead)
	2.1.7: broken (branch hasn't woken up yet)
	2.2: fixed
	-current: fixed

> It seems that the Cyclades driver won't generate a SIGHUP on an on-to-off
> CD transition if clocal was toggled off while CD was already on/high.

SIGHUPs are never generated in CLOCAL mode.  ppp and mgetty poll the carrier
detect bit, and polling was broken.

Bruce