Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:10:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        dk+@ua.net, snar@lucky.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing overall security....

[ ... stack checking ... ]

Not that I believe it is necessary to implement at this level,
or that this level would be valid on another architecture, such
as SPARC, but...

> To play devil's advocate...
>
> 1) It requires assembler which is harder to understand.  Less people are
> qualified to review it.  Relying on something harder to understand for
> security is questionable.

This is not a "security through obscurity" issue.  The code is hard to
understand because of the people trying to understand it, not because
the difficulty in understanding it is one of the intentional effects.

> 2) We don't know if it operates correctly.  Sendmail 8.8.5 has around 106
> strcpy's in it and we don't know what the patch's effect will be in a
> production environment.

I can tell you what the effect will be:

(a)	It will be a performance hit because of the extra runtime
	overhead

(b)	It will be relied upon, such that programs which are
	"secure" in a BSD environment because of it will suddenly
	become "insecure' when moved to another environment

In general, this type of change is useful for a "debug" library,
like those used by "Purify" and similar tools, but less useful as
a general security precaution because of its limited scope (ie: it
makes things safe on BSD on Intel, where the code in general is
not repaired.  I would advocate changing sensitive code to be secure
in any environment, regardless of stack protections.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---