Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 02:53:13 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        Terry Todd <tlt@badger.tltodd.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more details needed on POP3 server setup

> I have searched everywhere it seems to find a POP3 server for
> FreeBSD.  I have monitored the mailing list here and searched the
> archives but no luck in a real pointer to where I can find it.  I
> have tried going to the Qualcomm site but didn't find anything
> there.  Is the popd from Qualcomm something they sell?  If is is
> they don't advertize it at all from what I could tell.   I looked in
> the ports directories but there doesn't appear to be anything there.
>  There is nothing in packages either as far as I can tell.  Does
> anybody have some real experience in getting and installing and
> running a POP3 server that has done it recently?

Terry-

I forget the exact location of qpoper, but it *IS* at qualcomm's
site (slow as it is).  Something like /quest/unix/servers/...

It's also availiable at nic.funet.fi, a great site for all kinds of
stuff.  Look in /pub/unix/mail/pop

You'll probably need to modify popper.h to get it to run
right, it seems the original wanted to create tmp files in /var/mail.
The relevant section should look like this when you're done:

#if !defined(OSDONE) && (defined(BSD) && ((BSD) >= 199103))
# define POP_MAILDIR     "/var/mail"
# define POP_DROP        "/tmp/.%s.pop"
# define POP_TMPDROP     "/tmp/tmpXXXXXX"
# define POP_TMPXMIT     "/tmp/xmitXXXXXX"
# define MAIL_COMMAND    "/usr/sbin/sendmail"
# define OSDONE
#endif

Good luck,

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

( Stuff I said does not reflect the company I work  )
( for unless I'm speaking on behalf of said company )