Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:21:21 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-share@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/share/man/man3 fpgetround.3

On Wed, Mar 19, 1997 at 01:13:59PM -0800, Mike Pritchard wrote:
> >   Log:
> >   Fixed misuse of .Ft for enum members.  (.Fa seems to be the best
> >   available macro for enum, struct and union members.  .Ft seems to
> >   be the best available macro for enum, struct and union tags and
> >   types).
>
> I was trying to figure out the best way to do this, and I'm leaning
> towards removing this type of thing from  the SYNOPSIS section.
> I think they are better placed in the main manual page text, and
> defined within literal text blocks.  Someone who is just checking the

If this changes a large number of man pages, they should be left alone
IMHO.  If it is just a few of them that abuse the SYNOPSIS section, then
cool.  If it is a lot of man pages that do this, then that implies this
usage was the intention of the CSRG.

I was drawn to *BSD vs. Linux for folklore and history reason.  It was
only after trying FreeBSD that I found all the other reasons to use it
over Linux.  So I really like keeping our heritage alone when there
isn't a completing reason not to.

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)