Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:34:43 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        smp@csn.net, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continquous Memory vs Virtual Memory

My rebuttal:

User X downloads  pre-compiled binary with the "virus". Is this far-fetched
not really. The kind of individuals that our current technology will
attract are not rocket-science unix hackers. Meaning that they will
probably not want to download the sources, inspect them and compile
the programs.

To answer your concern, yes it is a waste of efforts to tighten
security however we are trying to look ahead and minimize our
exposure to malicious attacks on the system. When in doubt
chose a secured avenue.

Last but not least I left implementations such as dtv wide-open
because the device can be protected as well as the program.
A program which sort of does the same thing as dtv well from
a security risk stand point of view is X. Now there you have a real
risk , a user level device driver . As far as I know there has
been no incidents of a virus being introduced by way of an X server
nevertheless the possibility is there.

	Regards,
	Amancio