Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:27:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com (mark thompson)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: crontab nit?

In some mail from mark thompson, sie said:

> /etc/daily didn't run last night. Looking at the log, it appears that
> when daylight savings time started, the hour of 2-3 was skipped. Oddly,
> 2 is when daily is scheduled to run.
>
> On my system, i just changed that to 1am. It seems that this might be a
> good idea in general in the US.
>
> i18n question... around the world, when DST starts, what hour gets skipped?
> When it ends, what hour gets repeated?

from 2am -> 3am
from 2am -> 1am (if I recall correctly)

cron needs to have a few smarts about what to do, the hp-ux man page for it
addresses all the relevant bits.

for the backward step, cron jobs should only be run once.
on the forward skip, it is arguable, but none should be run if scheduled
for 2am-3am

(or something like that)