Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:37:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@mcc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wdx interrupt timeouts (fwd)

bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie) wrote:

> backup, get another drive.

Thanks for the suggestion; I probably will, but:

	fault virtual address	= 0x4e3a1bd4
	fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
	instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf010144c
	stack pointer		= 0x10:0xf6b13d80
	frame pointer		= 0x10:0xf6b13d9c
	code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
	current process		= 7329 (perl)
	interrupt mask		= bio
	panic: page fault

shouldn't be happening just because I'm trying to read a possibly (but not
very likely) bad drive, should it? Note the subject line -- this started with
innocuous "interrupt timeout" messages, progressed to hard errors and now we're
onto panics. I hate IDE, even brand-new supposedly self-correcting drives...

I'm also stuck at first base with the crash dump:

	GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
	Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
	IdlePTD 1ef000

	kernel symbol `kstack' not found.
	(kgdb)

Any suggestions, offers of help, or brain transplants gratefully receieved...

"Why does it always happen to me?"

Ian.