Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:06:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/netstart bogons..

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> In /etc/netstart (and elsewhere) we have constructs of the form:
>
> if [ "x$gateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>         echo 'configuring host as a gateway.'
>         sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
> fi
>
> if [ "x$router" != "xNO" ] ; then
>         echo -n starting routing daemon:
>         echo -n " ${router}";   ${router} ${routerflags}
>         echo '.'
> fi
>
> if [ "x$ipxgateway" != "xNO" ]; then
>
> And so on.  This is, needless to say, DEEPLY DEEPLY EVIL since it will
> cause these features to be turned on in the _absence_ of any such flag
> setting, say because you have an old /etc/sysconfig file.  You make

Define a helper function somewhere (/etc/sysconfig.functions?)
and call it var_isset() or similar; have it return true if
the value is set, and not NO.

> Any objection to reversing the polarity on these various ifs?  If
> there's no variable or it's not explicitly set to YES, the operation
> should fail.  Speak now or hold your peace, please..

Make a call now as to whether empty counts as set or unset.  NetBSD's
convention is that set-but-empty means to use the default value,
whatever that is.