Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:28:17 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHA-2940U problem in -STABLE

On Tue, Apr 29, 1997 at 10:37:15AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >I'm having a little problem with my AHA-2940.  I can no longer use my
> >Exbyte 8505 8mm drive to back up my SCSI hard drive.  Using a 2.2-STABLE
> >kernel in single user mode from 4/24 I got:
> >
> >DUMP: 91.33% done, finished in 0:03
> >st0(ahc0:4:0): SCB 0x2 - timeed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI ==
> >0x0
> >SEQADDR == 0x8
>
> My guess is that you are using the rewindind device and that the rewind is

Nope.  The exact command was "dump 0udsf 54000 13000 /dev/nrst0 /files".

> >And then the machine froze (not even a panic).
>
> This is bug #2.  For some reason, the recovery code is botching it.  Can
> you try the attached patch and see if the recovery code behaves correctly?
> Once I get the recovery code to work for you, you should be able to bump
> up the timeout in scsi/st.c:st_rewind and make the problem completly go
> away.

Will try it.  BTW, lastnight, I CVSup'ed src-sys and got a revision
1.81.2.25 of 1997/04/26.  So I will obviously be patching agaist that.
I'll make the new kernel now, and test the dump later today (trying to
get an assignemnt done now  (isn't school a pain?  really gets in the way
of FreeBSD hacking :-))))

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)