Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 09:42:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        CBROWN@seitz.com (Chris Brown)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Finding documentation for FreeBSD.

Chris Brown asked:
>      I am getting ready to build up several servers for mail, web
> server, ftp server, DNS etc. and several lower level machines for
> remote site routing and mail.  The systems that are being seriously
> considered are FreeBSD and Linux.  I have been gravitating tward
> Linux primarily because the documentation is easier to find and seams
> to be in a format that is more simple to use.  The UN*X world in
> general is fairly new to me and documentation and support at this
> time are extremely important.
>
>      What are the best sources of documentation other than the
> FreeBSD handbook and the FAQs.

Any book about BSD UNIX, including all of the O'Reilly series and
most books on UNIX security, system administration, and programming.
In general, unless it specifically mentions System V in the title,
it's about BSD.

>      Is there a compelling reason to use FreeBSD over Linux?  For
> some time our servers will be fairly bandwidth limited so I don't see
> that there will be a large enough difference in performance to be
> noticed for some time.

The stability of the release system.  FreeBSD releases are shipped
as a complete set, including kernel, drivers, system and utility
programs.  With Linux, you basically get the kernel du jour, a
mish-mash of drivers, some of which are "not ready for prime time"
but are released anyhow, and sombody's collection of tools and
utilities.

Plus, FreeBSD *still* has the best, most stable TCP/IP implementation.