Date:      Tue, 06 May 1997 15:28:13 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Ben Black <black@zen.cypher.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

On Tue, 6 May 1997 15:16:01 -0700 (PDT)
 Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com> wrote:

 > > this actually reminds me of something i have been wondering about: is
 > > there any desire to switch from a.out to another binary format like OLF
 > > that is better suited to multi-architecture use.

...guess I missed this before...

Given that the binutils people are against OLF, I don't see it going
anywhere.  There are several problems with it.  The things it attempts
to solve can be solved other ways within the constraints of ELF
without the problems OLF has.  The FSF folks have chosen this route,
and binutils 2.8 shipped with the support necessary to identify the
OS a particular executable or object is for.

NetBSD/alpha currently supports this facility, although NetBSD's ELF
exec code doesn't yet check the OS tag.