Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 11:31:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESCAPE!  Florida Cruise/Vacation $598/4 People

> If were are to stop spammers we have to make it unprofitable for them. This
> has to be a war of attrition. Spammers have costs just like any business. A
> T1 is not cheap neither is an 800 line or the geeks they hire to write the
> spam engines. If no one responds to their spams then they are just
> redirecting bits to /dev/null. What we should be doing is developing and
> distributing tools to stop spammers at the entry to sendmail and
> majordomo. If we could develop these tools then ISP who use these could
> advertise that their system is "Spam Free". That would be good marketing.

I'm going farther than that.  Next time I reconfigure the router
(which will be in about two weeks) I'm going to block out all of
agis.net.  And inform them of it.  And why.

Make it unprofitable to give IP feeds to spammers.  That is a much
more powerful hold - if a provider knows that they will get blocked
from a lot of routers for _all_ their traffic, and thus quite a bit of
their market value, they'll think about the cost/profit ratio.

I urge anybody that have a legal reason for this to do the same.  I'm
doing it on the basis of agis.net ignoring applicable laws (Norwegian
law) and harassing customers (through sending spam packets that have
been requested removed).

Please take follow-ups to -chat.

Eivind.