Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 02:51:57 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Joachim Kuebart" <joa@delos.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Subject:   IP forwarding - gateway???  (WAS: Re: IP filtering?)

From: Joachim Kuebart <joa@delos.stuttgart.netsurf.de>

>Hi!
>
>What exactly does the
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
>switch do?

hehe.. I just had my first fight with this.  What it does, is enable
simple IP forwarding.  I can't offer much more of an explination, but
here's what I've now got set up:

One computer dials into my terminal server at work, and is assigned
an IP.  The terminal server is also configured to route any traffic
for a /29 subnet to that IP.
On my computer, I enable net.inet.ip.forwarding, and am able to have
up to 6 computers (limited by the range of the subnet) in my home
connected to the internet over a single dial-up connection.

To go off on a tangent, I had a difficult time figuring out how to do
this, because I was told that it was possible without running a
routed or gated on my system.  In /etc/sysconfig, the name of the
option is 'gateway', and I automatically associated this with gated.
Maybe this option should be renamed to 'ip_forwarding' in future
releases.  I feel that this would help reduce confusion for others as
they too start to play with different network configurations.

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services