Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 12:04:16 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   My configuration tool

A while back, I posted a message about a kernel configuration tool I have been
developing.  I never heard back from anyone regarding what they thought about
it.  So I am now going to repost my statements, and see if anyone even uses
this list.  It seems awful quiet on this list, so I have also sent a new
subscribe request to `majordomo', maybe I fell out.

kc:
	kc is a kernel configuration tool for FreeBSD, although it used to
work in OpenBSD and NetBSD, I have not tried it in a long time.  It works by
reading a configuration list from a file called `options.list' in the
`/sys/i386/conf' directory.  This file is formatted almost identically to a
standard configuration file, such as LINT (I use LINT to help maintain it).
The only command line parameter to `kc' is the name of a configuration you
wish to update, if you don't include a name it checks the syntax of the
`option.list' file.  When the configuration file is read, the in memory
version is updated with any customizations you have made in your
config file, such as non-standard I/O or IRQs.  The `option.list' has various
special commands which modify the behaviour of `kc'.  You can setup various
types of dependencies, for example all of the ISA devices are currently
defined within a sub-menu which is only accessible if `controller isa' is
selected.  You can also have devices which are only available if another
device is enabled, ie. I don't display sio2, unless sio1 was defined.  You can
define device conflicts, ie vt0 and sc0.  You can tell if a device is required
or you cn disable a broken driver.  I have been using this program since 1993,
and it seems fairly stable.  If anyone is interested in it, I have it up for
anonymous FTP at ftp://bmccane.uit.net/pub/kc/kc1.0.tgz.  Please give me any
comments/suggestions.

	I am also working on some changes to make `kc' a little more useful
currently.  I would like to have a more detailed description system than I
currently have.  What I invision is a short description, such as I have now,
and a longer help from the `f1' key.  I also would like to add a list of
`options' for a device, such as recommended I/O, IRQ, DMA or Memory addresses.

	brian