Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 05:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, markm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicate DES code in libc/rpc and secure/lib/des

> I found the same DES code in des/rpc_* files and rpc/des_* files and
> have two questions:
>
> 1) What about export restrictions (rpc/des* affected), is situation
> changed?

There isn't actually any DES crypto code in src/lib/libc/rpc. The way
I set it up, the core _des_crypt() function makes an RPC call to the
local keyserv(8) process to do all the crypting/decrypting. If you
actually have /usr/lib/libdes.so.3.x installed when you start keyserv,
then it will dlopen() libdes and use the _des_crypt() routine in there,
giving you correct DES operation. If you _don't_ have libdes.so, then
keyserv falls back to using RC4 encryption with a 40 bit key.

> 2) Do we really need to duplicate the same code in several places?
> I think that secure/lib/des/rpc_* files should be removed.

Er... by secure/lib/des, I'm assuming you mean secure/lib/libdes,
correct? If so, please tell me exactly which files contain duplicated
code. Eric Young's libdes has a _des_crypt() routine specially written
to accomodate Secure RPC, but it shouldn't contain anything in common
with the actual RPC library (other than maybe a header that describes
the structure that the RPc code passws to _des_crypt().

-Bill