Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:31:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      gnat@frii.com
To:        Matthias Buelow <token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Cc:        ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu (Guy Helmer), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

Matthias Buelow writes:
> routine for me to chmod 0 sperl/setuidperl etc.

My standard installation process is now to:

 - build and install perl5.004 with a suidperl into /usr/local

 - make sure /usr/bin and /usr/local have perl and perl5 hard-
   linked to /usr/local/bin/perl5.004

 - make sure /usr/bin/ and /usr/local/bin/ have perl4 being the
   perl4 that came with the system

 - make sure 5.004 suidperl is hardlinked between /usr/local/bin
   and /usr/bin

 - delete any *perl* crap that came with the system (curseperl
   and taintperl and sperl and any other oddities I stumble
   across in /usr/bin/)

I have a question: because 2.2 and 2.1 seem to have /dev/fd/n where n
is a file descriptor number, does this mean that FreeBSD doesn't need
a suidperl because setuid scripts are now safe in the kernel?

Nat