Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 14:45:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dg@root.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ache@nagual.pp.ru, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, bde@zeta.org.au, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-etc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.include.dist

Adam David stands accused of saying:

> Please check your attribution better, it belongs further down.
> I guess you can blame blind/dumb software.

You can blame me trimming bulk out of the message.  I think it's fair to
read three levels of indentation as "possibly not this individual".

> > This is contradicted by my experience and that of numerous other
> > posters over the years.  Most users don't give a damn whether there
> > are extra drivers in their kernel; OTOH they generally get pretty pissed
> > if a driver they need _isn't_.
>
> According to this, most users are wasting precious memory.

Er, yes.  I would have thought that this was a fairly obvious fact,
hardly deserving of comment.

> > Don't make me laugh.  It _might_ be, if the user/admin is particularly
> > paranoid, but believe me when I say that GENERIC is a lot more popular
> > than you seem to think.
>
> It is not a contest, and I think most would agree that both camps are
> significant.

Significant, yes.  However this is effectively a variation on the
disagreement I had with PST; those who care can fix it.  Those that
can't, can't.  So, if you care, fix it.  If not, or if being able to
throw a single kernel at dozens of different sites without having to
rummage through your archives to find their superoptimised 10k-smaller
kernel config, then GENERIC wins.