Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:20:01 -0400
From:      "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM
Cc:        flash@hway.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se
Subject:   Re: RFCs and Urgent pointers

   From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
   Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:31:09 -0400

   > >    Anybody thought of adding the RFC style Urgent pointers to the TCP,
   > >    say, as TCP level socket option ?

   TCP urgent data is how the socket out-of-band-data abstraction is realized.  I
   don't understand what else you might "add" to TCP to do "Urgent Pointers".
   There ought to already be a option for "inline" out-of-band data, which I
   think is the default in most modern BSD-based TCPs.

The issue is not to add anything, but rather to allow, on a
configurable basis, one to choose between the RFC sanctioned
interpretation of where the urgent pointer "points" and the
traditional one.

Read the RFC for details 8-)

Later,
David "Sparc" Miller