Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:16:14 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        atgrim@thevine.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using /setup from the /tools dir

VR wrote:

> I started to use the setup program provided in the /TOOLS dir from the
> FTP site. When I ran the DOS option (to set up from a DOS partition)
> Windows no longer sees the file sizes in the dir I made for the /BIN
> files. I thought I hosed the files somehow and tried to download again.
> When I complete the download and do a refresh on the system, it still
> sees the files as zero K. What have I done?

I'm not quite sure whether I understand what happened.  From your
description, it seems as though:

    o  You downloaded the bin distribution to some working directory.

    o  You ran setup, and all the files in your working directory
       were truncated to zero-length.

    o  You tried to download all the files again, but (even before
       you ran setup) the files were still all zero-length.

If you can go into a bit more detail (like what directory you are
downloading the files into), I'm sure we can get this sorted out.

There are actually a lot of different ways to install FreeBSD.
So, if setup isn't working for you, you could alternatively use a
different approach (like having the sysinstall program download
the files for you).

--
Robert Nordier