Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 08:36:01 +0800
From:      Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>, Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSHD from Inetd

On Jun 26, James FitzGibbon wrote:
> > Actually I wanted sshd to run with tcpd :) is it possible to do that
> > without inetd? Also, I have seen where sendmail was tcpd'd and HELO
> > would report a pident output! Any info on this?
>
> sshd can be linked against libwrap and use /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow
> internally.

I've tried --with-libwrap. (Ok, it was on Solaris 2.5, ssh 1.2.17.)

Denied connections were logged, allowed ones weren't, IIRC.
Not good enough for me, so I'm running sshd out of inetd.

Venema provided a short patch on the ssh list, but it didn't
work for me.

I can take the performance hit, coz my sshd machine is my desktop,
and I only ever ssh in from my notebook. YMWV.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg>

Fast. Secure. Cheap. Pick two.