Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:20:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some forgotten submits

Wolfgang Helbig stands accused of saying:

> May I ask you to review some of my proposals/fixes? Most of them
> don't seem to be *that* important to the FreeBSD project and thus
> are gathering dust while being ignored by you. But even getting
> *some* feedback like `leave us allone with that crap' is better
> than nothing :-(.

Ok, let's take the one I might have something to do with :

> bin/4064: History search in libedit is broken. E. g. sh(1) uses
>           only the first letter of the search string for matching.

I can't reproduce the problem as you describe it in the PR :

             Enter the following commands to get a history.
             # sh
             # set -o vi
             # lll
             # llll

             Now hit the escape key to enter the vi commands, enter
             /llll, to search for the last occurence of the string `llll'
             in the history. Depending on whatever, the shell will show
             you the command `llll', which is correct, or beep at you,
             which is wrong.  Hit the `N'-key to repeat the search, the
             shell might show you `lll', which is wrong, it should beep
             at you instead.

Following your instructions I get 'llll' and then a beep, which is, as
you indicate, correct.  This is on a 2.2 system.

Do you know if your libedit is pre- or post- the NetBSD-sourced changes?

Regards,