Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:31:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        TLiddelow@cybec.com.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

> These benefits are real, but I'm not sure they're enough.  (If you
> are looking for a facts-be-damned advocate of FreeBSD-ELF, I'm not
> your guy.)  There is plenty of room for intelligent disagreement
> about it.  I myself have about three opinions on the subject, all
> in conflict with one another. :-)
>
> I am sure there would be other benefits, but I don't know enough
> about them to lobby on their behalf.  The people who do are the
> ones who need to do the PR.  Explain why FreeBSD would be a better
> place if it used ELF.  So far nobody's done a very good job of
> that.  "Pageable kernel data areas?"  Yawn.  What does it mean to
> me as a user or as a developer?

It means:

o	Demand loading for LKM's.
o	Demand loading of dependencies (LKM TCP requires LKM IP,
	so loading LKM TCP loads LKM IP).
o	The generic kernel can discard drivers it's not using.
o	You can page out memory and page it back in to let
	you rearrange the pages.  This means you don't have
	to statically link ing your "QuickCam" or similar driver
	that needs a region of physically contiguous kernel
	memory (ie: it can only currently allocate this at boot
	time).
o	You can write glue to let BSD use NT drivers (NT drivers,
	by design, require section coloring) for video cards, SCSI
	controllers, ethernet cards, etc..  NT drivers come with
	most new hardware.
o	You can replace drivers in a kernel using a section archiver
	instead of rebuilding and relinking.

> Would the system run faster?

	Yes.  It would page user data less if it could reclaim the
	memory from unused drivers and/opr probe code for drivers
	that *are* used.

> Use less memory?

	Yes.

> How much faster?  How much less?

	Depends.  How many transient or unused drivers are in your
	current kernel?  Probably a hell of a lot, if you run generic,
	like most people.

> Who's going to implement it if we switch to ELF?

	I think the point is that unless we switch to ELF, no one
	will *ever* implement it.

> Enquiring minds want to know.

	Gotta disagree with you there.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert