Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:45:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Joel N. Weber II)
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Joel N. Weber II wrote:

>    (The
>    Constitutional question of separation of church and state is pretty
>    much taken care of by giving the vouchers to the parents and not
>    directly to the schools, although some people still consider it
>    unconstitutional.)
>
> My understanding is that the Constiution doesn't actually demand
> a seperation of church and state; it's just htat some liberals would
> like you to believe that.

	"establishment of religion" clause of the Constiution.
	the founding fathers were liberals.  read madison's notes
	on the consitutional convention.

	exerpt from the 1st Admendment:
	"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
	has been interpreted by the supreme court for nearely 200 yars
	to mean that the govt many not fund religious organizations.
	that one of the esential aspects of "establishment of religion"
	is govt funding (viz the Church of England and the tithes
	Irish Catholics had to pay to the Church of England)

> Furthurmore, I think that the original arguement was that we wanted
> to prevent the government from affecting the churches, not hte otherway
> around.

	not affecting....adopting ;)
	religious organization affect the govt extensively.  blue-laws
	for instance.  why is the federal govt closed on Christmas
	and St Sylvester's Day (1 january).  surely the reason is
	rooted in religious practice

> OTOH, maybe if the expensive schools charge rich students extra,
> and don't charge poor students anything beyond the voucher, we
> might not have problems.  I'd be wary of the approah though;
> it will likely lead to more government regulation.

	it is popular to disparage govt regulation at the present time.
	perhaps we should look at a few regulations:

	safety glass in place of plate glass in cars.  the auto
	industry decided against this in '37.  govt regualtion forced
	the issue.  everyone pays more for cars as a result, at least
	till factories gear up for production and economies of scale
	kick in.  far fewer people bleed to death in auto accidents.

	milk must contain milk, not chalk mixed with water.
	food purity laws, in general.

	diseased cattle can not be slaughtered adn sold to the public.

	seatbelts were put in cars.

	some gvot regulations are excessive.
	many are necessary, based upon previous business practices.

	given the choice between govt regulation and not,
	i'll take govt regulation.

jmb