Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:56:11 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bernard.Steiner@de.uu.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpt ECS support.

> forgive me if this is an inappropriate mailing list (do give me a pointer) -
> I have recently hacked up the 2.2.2 i386/isa/lpt driver to provide basic
> support for some advanced features of the ECP parallel port that comes with
> my motherboard, currently including

This is somewhat unfortunate, as the lpt driver is in the process of
being retired in favour of the ppbus interface.

> I'd like to know whether anybody
> (a) is interested in this, if so, where to send it

Naturally we'd be interested to see how your work would integrate with
the new ppbus model; anything that improves port performance would be
just wonderful.

There's a version of the ppbus code that can be integrated into 2.2 at
http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/PPBUS.  If you want to work with us on
this (and we would certainly appreciate that!), the list at
ppbus@smith.net.au will reach the relevant parties.

> (c) is working on integration of lpt as a proper tty (and get the
>     if_lp stuff out of lpt.c) to eventually allowing ieee1284 compliant
>     lptread(). I looked at sio.c and find siopoll() rather confusing...

Hopefully the new model will make more sense.  If you're looking for
some background detail, hit the ppbus list and I'll fill you in.

mike