Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:54:48 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making X go right away

> On Sat, Sep 13, 1997 at 08:55:37PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> >> Does anyone know how to make X fire up right away? I remember I just changed
> >> something in inittab for linux, but FreeBSD seems to be a little different
> >
> > I run it from /etc/ttys:
> > ttyvb   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  unknown on insecure
>
> This is the method that I recommended in the first edition of "The
> Complete FreeBSD".  Jörg Wunsch subsequently showed me the error of my
> ways: if you screw up your X config, you might find yourself unable to
> access the system.

I guess.  If your xdm config is bad it could cause problems.  I like
the ability to ^R at your login screen, do something in text mode and
then "killall xdm".  Of course the same can be done with CTRL-ALT-F1
etc.

> This is what I have in the (draft) second edition:
[.....]
I was under the impression that this book was shipped with release
CDs.  I guess I was wrong.  Is there an electronic copy around
anywhere ?

> The idea with running xinit at system startup is bogus.  xinit is
> designed to run after login.

Agreed.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>