Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:02:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Really bad performance with smp vs. up

Hi,

   I have 3.0-970911-SNAP installed on 4 UP 180Mhz machines and on
1 200Mhz 4-way (Dell PowerEdge 6100).

   The application I'm working on is a highly parallel build/make
system.

   The 4 180Mhz machines, running 3 compiles each, takes 1 minute
30 seconds to compile 110 sources.

   The 4way box, however, takes 1 hour and a few minutes to do the
same amount of work.  Top reports user cpu at 2%, system cpu
at 95%, and the rest is interrupts. This holds very constant.

   The last SNAP I had installed was 3.0-970815-SNAP, where I
didn't see this problem (but was having serious networking/NIC
problems).

   As always, I'm more than happy to try and track this down if
someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
John

ps: Yes, this is running with the SMP generic kernel config with
    only my required changes:

options         NCPU=4                  # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem

--
jwd@unx.sas.com       (w) John W. De Boskey          (919) 677-8000 x6915