Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:32:49 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, nate@mt.sri.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall weakness?

Hi ...

> > > It doesn't work that way. ;(
> >
> > No?  My cursory reading of ip_fw.c indicates that it does, but I'm happy
> > to be shown otherwise, as I don't consider myself to be a C expert.
> > Or are you referring to the fact that you  need a more comprehensive
> > ruleset to be effective?
>
> I had a discussion with Alex a while back, and if my memory isn't
> failing me this didn't work.  I don't know why either, and I haven't
> looked at the sources.  Perhaps it's been fixed to work, but I haven't
> seen anything significant since the discussion.

Aren't we just having an communications gap here ??? ... I thought
the 53<->53 just meant a rule like this ..

accept udp from any 53 to any 53

Which is possible to configure ... I use it often for routing info
to be exchanged ...  e.g.

accept udp from any 520 to 1.2.3.4 520 in recv ed0
and that works fine ....

Reinier