Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:41:12 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh oh.. Time to take another look at the packages collection!

Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com> wrote:

>              The "New and Improved" (tm) package system will have to be
> able to do package installs in a two step process. That is unless you wish
> to tell our users that they MUST have either a CD changer or 2 CDROM drives
> to use our package system ;-)

[Assuming the packages can't be partitioned into a no-dependencies disk and
another disk]

Another simpler (but possibly less "elegant") solution would be to break them
into 2 separate packages trees, but have a single TOC file that gets put on
both disks.  That way, installing a package from either disk would be able to
detect that it didn't have the prerequisites.  The simpler part comes in the
handling of that condition - just abort with an error telling the user to
install some specified package(s) from another disk.  Sometimes such an
approach is more efficient (in development, usage and support costs) and
understandable...

Also...there could be some sort of "path" specification (like the sites
specifier in the ports Makefiles), so one could give preference to a local CD
player, but pull the 2nd disk packages off a NFS-mounted (or FTP-accessed or
whatever) location.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org