Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:52:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Re: Re: Linux vs freeBSD

(forwarded to -chat)

The background of this discussion is a comparison between FreeBSD and
Linux that I wrote for "The Complete FreeBSD".  Here goes; there's
more from David Kelly after it.

FreeBSD and Linux

Linux  is  a  clone  of  UNIX written by Linus Torvalds, a student in Helsinki,
Finland.  At the time, the BSD sources were not freely available, and so  Linus
wrote his own version of UNIX.

Linux  is a superb example of how a few dedicated, clever people can produce an
operating system that is better than well-known commercial systems developed by
a  large number of trained software engineers.  It is better even than a number
of commercial UNIX systems.

Obviously, I don't think Linux is as good as FreeBSD, or I wouldn't be  writing
this  book,  but the differences between FreeBSD and Linux are more a matter of
philosophy rather than of concept.  Here are a few contrasts:

               Table 1-1.  Differences between FreeBSD and Linux

FreeBSD is a direct  descendent  of  the   Linux is a clone and never contained any
original  UNIX,  though  it  contains no   AT&T code
residual AT&T code.

FreeBSD  is a complete operating system,   Linux is a kernel, personally maintained
maintained by a central group  of  soft-   by  a  Linus  Torvalds.   The non-kernel
ware  developers.   There  is  only  one   programs supplied with Linux are part of
distribution of FreeBSD.                   a  distribution, of which there are sev-
                                           eral.

FreeBSD aims to be a  stable  production   Linux  is  still a ``bleeding edge'' de-
environment.                               velopment environment, though many  dis-
                                           tributions  aim to make it more suitable
                                           for production use.

As a result of the centralized  develop-   The ease of installation  of  Linux  de-
ment  style,  FreeBSD is straightforward   pends  on  the ``distribution''.  If you
and easy to install.                       switch from one distribution of Linux to
                                           another,  you'll have to learn a new set
                                           of installation tools.

FreeBSD  is  still  relatively  unknown,   Linux  did  not  have  any  lawsuits  to
since  its  distribution  was restricted   contend with, so for a long time it  was
for a long time due  to  the  AT&T  law-   the  only  free  UNIX-type system avail-
suits.                                     able.

As a result of the lack of knowledge  of   A growing amount of commercial  software
FreeBSD, not much commercial software is   is becoming available for Linux.
available for it.

As  a  result  of the smaller user base,   Just  about any new board will soon have
FreeBSD is less likely to  have  drivers   a driver for Linux.
for brand-new boards than Linux.

Because of the lack of commercial appli-   Linux appears not to need to be able  to
cations  and  drivers,  FreeBSD will run   run FreeBSD programs or drivers.
most Linux programs, whether  commercial
or  not.  It's also relatively simple to
port Linux drivers to FreeBSD.

FreeBSD has a large number of afficiona-   Linux has a large number of afficionados
dos who are prepared  to  flame  anybody   who  are  prepared  to flame anybody who
who  dares  suggest that it's not better   dares suggest that it's not better  than
than Linux.                                FreeBSD.

In  summary, Linux is also a very good operating system.  For many, it's better
than FreeBSD.  It's a pity that so many people on both sides  are  prepared  to
flame  each  other.  There are signs that both sides are learning to appreciate
each other, and a number of people are now running both systems.

So much to that; I welcome comments or corrections.  Now to David's
message.

Greg