Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:51:41 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Brian Neal" <bneal@volusianet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need help with Dialup PPP

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to dialup to my isp in FreeBSD 2.2.2, but I don't know what =
> to do.
>
> I've read alot of manpages and such, but none of it's helped because =
> they all involve using chat or such to read `login' and `password' and =
> then respond to that.  The server I'm dialing into is NT 4.0 and it just =
> doesn't speak the same language...
>
> Can anyone help? (sample configs would be nice :) )
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Brian

Get the latest version of ppp from http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.
You'll be using PAP or CHAP with Windows NT.  There are sections in
both the handbook and the man page about this.  You need to remove
your "set login" script and do a "set authname" and "set authkey".

If your NT server is talking CHAP, you'll need to have DES installed
on your machine before building the latest ppp (unless you've got
service pack 3 installed and some smart-ass^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HNT guru
has dicked around with your registry.....).

If you're still having problems, check out the FAQ at

  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html

and send the relevent logs of your ppp `conversation'.

Cheers.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;