Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:46:58 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   need help in ISA memory mapping

I have an industrial controller card (ISA) which has an
ISA memory window (0xc8000-0xcffff e.g.).

A user program should be able to directly read/write into these memory
locations via a pointer (byte or word). Is there a way tp 'map'
this into a user address space?  Is it possible at all?

I can use the isa_dev structure in the kernel driver (I have written
a minimum driver that probes the card) but this only works in kernel
mode.

I thoughht of opening /dev/mem but that appears to be handled like a
file and operationg via a pointer seems weird. Even weirder when
I thing of mmapping that file.

Any ideas?