Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/4847: pccard stuff fails after running Win95 without power-cycling

The following reply was made to PR kern/4847; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To: Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
Cc: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:42:54 -0600 (MDT)

 > 	What PCIC controller do you have?
 >
 > Windows 95 says it sees a "Texas Instruments PCI-1131".
 >
 > 	Is it correctly found?  (Obviously it is, but more
 > 	details are necessary.)
 >
 > FreeBSD says it sees a "PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)".

 Ahh, that explains it.  What happens is that the BIOS on your box does
 something special so that it looks like a legacy-ISA device, but Win95
 'screws up' this mapping, so when you boot into FreeBSD the PCI stuff is
 probably hosed up.

 Hopefully we'll get better 'PCI/PCMCIA' controller support in FreeBSD.

 (I'm working on PCMCIA stuff this weekend, but not on that particular
 item, although it's on my white-board.)

 Nate