Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:23:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        wlloyd@mpd.ca
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port problem.

 * MASTER_SITE_GNU+=       \
 *         ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/%SUBDIR%/ \
 *         ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu/%SUBDIR%/
 *
 * However, I'm not sure this is really how this bug should be fixed. I
 * guess it's probably that SUBDIR evaluates as nothing and it ends up with
 * two //.

You are absolutely right.  This has bit us recently with the new fetch
(since "fix"ed) too.

Maybe we should really rethink how this all should work.  One way is
to remove the trailing slash and go change all the ports that define
*_SITE_SUBDIR to include the trailing slash.  Another...hmm, does it
work for you if the path ends with "something/real/dir/./"?  If we
make the default value of *_SITE_SUBDIR to be ".", that may help.

Satoshi