Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:29:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote...

> > Well, since I own a "Multia" and not a "Miata", I don't really get
> > how understanding the "Miata" would help me port to the "Multia",
> > so perhaps you could explain it to me...
>
> The other people in the ALPHA project have Miatas.  Your Multia is
> thus of little concern to them.
>
> > As SEF would say, "Pot.  Kettle.  Black.".
> >
> > There's a very simple way to keep me from grinding axes: take them
> > away from me, leaving me nothing to grind.  If you weren't always
> > such an immovable object, then I wouldn't have to try to be an
> > irresistable force to get you to move...
>
> Terry, when will you learn?  People aren't just sitting on their
> thumbs waiting for Terry The Great Motivator to kick them into action,
> there are other major stumbling blocks in the way which are
> drastically impeding progress, one such being the fact that Digital
> has been completely and totally unable to provide *any* technical
> documentation on these machines!  NetBSD also doesn't run on them, so

Please stop bitching. What do you need for Miata docs? I can look at
work (yes, at Digital) to see what publically redistributable docs I can
come up with.

Just tell me exactly what boards/machines you have and I'll give it my
best shot.

> we can't even look "next door" for a peek at what's going on under
> their hood, so to speak, and the fact that they run DUX is of little
> use since DUX doesn't come with source code.

You have to sign with your own blood to even take a look at the source...

> If you really want to help then either get some documentation out of
> Digital using your direct pipeline to God (of course Terry talks
> directly to God, hasn't everyone here realized that by now? ;-) or
> get us a free source code license to Digital Unix so that we can
> crib code from them.

Thank you, no need to call me God. Wilko will do ;-)

Wilko
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  --Yoda