Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:19:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Daniel Leeds <dleeds@dfacades.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec pcmcia scsi

[ Moved to -mobile ]

> I have an adaptec slim-scsi 1460 pcmcia card i am desperately trying to
> get to be recognized and used by my laptop running freebsd 2.2.5 to
> no avail.

It's not supported in 2.2.5.  The support was added about 4-5 days after
the release (it wouldn't have made it into the release in any case).

> upon boot, its seen by the ze driver (which runs my ibm pcmcia ethernet)
> and reports as an adaptec scsi controller.

Not quite.  The driver prints out the CIS strings of the cards, but it
only work correctly if the string is what it expects, aka the IBM card.
Also note that the zp/ze drivers are 'dedicated' drivers, which mean
they *ONLY* work on laptops, while the new drivers such as the Adaptec
work on both desktop/laptop machines.  But, there's no boot floppy
support (yet) for the new drivers, but once it's installed you can get
things working pretty easily.

> but i cannot get it to be recognized by pccard

Update to 2.2.5-STABLE (and use the PCCARD config file).  The necessary
changes were made after the release, including the changes to the
/etc/pccard.conf.  (Although, it might need a bit of tweaking to work,
since the setup has only been tested on Sony CDR-650 CD-ROMS drivers,
which use a variant of the Adaptec card.)

Nate