Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 07:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/5050: upgrade perl

The following reply was made to PR bin/5050; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To: ac199@hwcn.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:46:04 -0500 (EST)

 On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

 > No.  This bugreport should include the proper bmake style
 > makefiles, and any other changes, removals, etc. that would be
 > necessary for perl5 before it goes into the main system.
 >
 > Same goes for the previous Tcl upgrade and bind upgrade requests
 > you sent.

 I just report the problem.  Am I supposed to do everything?  If I was
 interested in doing that I'd get CVS update access and do it myself.

 Merging tcl should just be a matter of merging the .c and .h files.  I
 strongly suspect no or minimal makefile changes will be necessary.

 BIND may require a bit, but not much, and that bit should be localised to
 named as I can't see the resolver library structure changing much.

 perl5 is a different story.  But BSDI obviously did a Berkeley makefile
 for it as they include perl5 with BSD/OS 3.x, so it can't be that hard.

 > Otherwise I think the pr's might as well be closed...  At least
 > this one, since it is painfully obvious that we've got a rather
 > old system version of Perl (although it doesn't bother me
 > personally in the least :).

 perl 4.036 is absolutely useless, so IMHO either ditch it and save people
 download time or upgrade it.  As it is very useful to have a built-in
 perl, I'd go with upgrade it.

 Evan