Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:01:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   rvplayer audio ?

A question to those using the linux rvplayer with either amancio's or
OSS -- can you try the 'welcome.rm' file (preferably on a low-end
machine such a P5-133 or less) which comes with the distribution
and tell me if the audio sounds 'chunky' ?

I am not sure on how I have implemented the GETOPTR ioctl, I think i
followed the specs but there are some odd interactions which the
rvplayer and I am not sure if it is my fault or not.

Basically I suspect that, when trying to achieve synchronous video+audio,
rvplayer waits until the audio buffer has almost drained before sending
more data (and in the meantime, since it is busy rendering video, the
playout buffer completely empties out on a medium-speed machine).
It should probably do the other way round, i.e. blast as much audio as
possible to the card (audio comes out at the right speed anyways),
and then do the video rendering as the audio progresses.

Of course I have no way to check having no sources. What I know is
that if i hack the GETOPTR ioctl so that it reports more bytes
processed than it really has, the audio comes out smoothly, but
then the video goes too fast.  So I don't think it is a problem
with my system being too slow.

	Cheers
	Luigi