Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:46:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        ivar@romulus.hosteng.org (Ivar Hosteng)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc564 on freeBSD 3.0 SMP

Ivar Hosteng said:

> My system is a dual PPro 200Mhz system using the intel PR440FX
> motherboard. The system is completly stable if I don't try to run the
> rc564 program.

Same system that I use for my rc564 contribution.  (Except it is overclocked
to 233, set to 50NS ram speed.)  I am also using idprio.

> I have suspected that the hangs only appear when both processors are
> working at 100% utilization so I wrote a small C program consisteing of a
> while (1) do ; loop. But I have left 2 processes running this program for
> days with no crashes.
>
> Does anyone else experience kernel hangs/crashes running the rc564 program
> on FreeBSD 3.0-current (the last cvsup sync was 18/11-97) and using the
> SMP kernel?

I am also running FreeBSD-3.0-current with SMP.  My guess is that maybe there
is a RAM problem that is being tickled?  (There aren't that many tunables
in the bios on that motherboard.)

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org