Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:22:43 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        jose@dial.pipex.com (Jose Marques)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does "unsupported" really mean?

In message <v02140b00b0a0cf986bf0@[193.130.246.212]> Jose Marques writes:
: I'm thinking of buying a laptop to run FreeBSD (yet another disillusioned
: Mac user abandoning ship).  The models I've looked at all have some form of
: "unsupported (at the current time) by FreeBSD" hardware, i.e. CardBUS, XV
: ports, USB ports etc.  Does this mean that I can't use FreeBSD on these
: machines?  Or (hopefully) can I still use FreeBSD but not use the hardware
: in question?

Generally speaking, unsupported means that you can't use the hardware
in question.  For some things this isn't a big deal (eg USB ports),
while for other things it can be a big deal (CardBus would make it
hard to expand a machine).  PAO does do CardBus better than stock
FreeBSD does at this time.

Your best bet would be to take some kind of FreeBSD boot disk with you
when purchasing a system and see if you can boot it before purchase.
Laptops generally have large restocking fees, so the buy one and
return it until it works strategy wouldn't work too well.

Warner