Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:45:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rcarter@consys.com (Russell L. Carter)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: issetugid(2)

> Satoshi sent a mail about October 30th, wondering why this hadn't
> caused people problems.  I ran into it yesterday, cvsupping a
> 6 month old 2.2-STABLE to whatever it is today.  The buildworld
> and installworld went without problems but when I tried to
> login to user accounts or launch another xterm, oops! Bash wants
> issetugid.

OK, I give up.  What the heck is it useful for, besides giving a
false sense of security to user space programs which may be
replaced and thus choose not to cooperate with the security model
that it requires?

And just what is the security model it requires anyway?  Seems to
be utterly useless to me...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---