Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (fquestions)
Subject:   freetype conversion (ttf2bdf) doesn't work with X

For the past month or so I've been digging into getting new
fonts working with unix|FBSD.  Thanks duly noted to Dave Bodenstab,
Chuck Robey, and others that helped me.

Thanks to part of the FreeType project, I was able to translate
many *ttf files to *.bdf.  I translated several Serif fonts to
BDF format in 14-, 18-, 20-, and 24-point sizes and changed the
encoding designation from Unicode-2.0 to iso8859-2.

After the *.bdf files were set, I translated them to *pcf. I ran
xset fp+ on the new /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freetype directory;
and mkfontdir; and rehashed.  Still, xfontsel don't print its
`sample text' for any  of these  files.  Anybody know why not??

I removed the freefonts package because they displayed so poorly
with XEmacs.  I thought the reason was that the freefonts were
not bitmapped, and assumed that my ttf2bdf|bdftopcf conversion
would give us a nice, broad collection of typefaces that could be
used in any X app.  ((These typefaces--and dozens more--already
work flawlessly with enscript; I'll be posting my port of these
next year.))

What do I have to do to get these *pcf files recognized by X?
I've got to be missing at least one step?

thanks,

gary kline

PS: Please copy me at thought.org... .

--