Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:31:02 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-stable from 3.0-current machine?

Warner Losh scribbled this message on Dec 5:
> My fast machine is running 3.0-current.  I'd love to be able to make
> 2.2-stable ports on that machine from the make world tree I keep on
> it.
>
> Any ideas how I might go about doing this easily so I don't have to
> build everything on the 386 boxes I'm putting -stable onto...

this shouldn't be hard... first, make sure that /usr/src/ points to your
2.2-stable tree...  -stable doesn't have the fixes that allow you to do
tree independant builds (unless Bruce's sneaked the changes in without
me looking)...  then you need to do something to prep your build
environment to be the 2.2-stable tree... I use the command:
eval `make build-env`
along with the following change to src's Makefile (this is realitive to
-current, so it might not work):
  .endfor
+
+ build-env:
+       @echo export PATH=${STRICTTMPPATH}
+       @echo export COMPILER_PATH=${WORLDTMP}/usr/libexec:${WORLDTMP}/usr/bin
+       @echo export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=${WORLDTMP}/usr/lib/
+       @echo export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${WORLDTMP}${SHLIBDIR}
+       @echo export LIBRARY_PATH=${WORLDTMP}${SHLIBDIR}:${WORLDTMP}/usr/lib

  .include <bsd.subdir.mk>

this allows me to do kernel builds and other useful things in my -current
tree on my 2.2.1-R box...

be careful though.. many of the normal binaries that you use aren't built,
you will probably need to modify the Makefile to build more binaries if
you want it to be useful...

another thing to watch out for is the mk files path...  you still end up
using the ones in /usr/share/mk/* instead of the buildworld's set... I
haven't figured out how to fix this... but they are modular enough that
you can just upgrade 'em...  (becareful of bsd.prog.mk..  it contains
fixes for ELF that aren't compatible with 2.2, at least my version of 2.2)

hope this info helps you get it running..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD