Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:41:44 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard interrupts

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Fri, Dec 05, 1997 at 05:17:55PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
> What does /etc/pccard.conf look like?  Is is possible that the
> sound-card probed wiped out your hardware somehow?  Did you try turning
> it off and leaving it off for a bit, then turning it back on?

io 0x240-0x360
irq 3 5 10 14
memory 0xd4000 96k

card "LINKSYS" "E-CARD"
	config 0x20 "ed0" 5
	insert echo LinkSys PCMCIA Ethernet inserted
	insert /etc/pccard_ether ed0
	remove echo LinkSys PCMCIA Ethernet removed
	remove /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete

It turns out it's getting the "driver allocation failed" error;
I added some code to cardd.c so that it prints out the ioctl error:

    log_2s("driver allocation failed for %s: %s",
	sp->card->mauf, strerror(errno));

with the appropriate cloning of log_1s into log_2s and including errno.h

Anyhow, it's reporting "Device Busy"; nevertheless, I can ifconfig it,
which initializes the card enough that it goes from a dark Rx light to
a blinking Rx light... followed by the ed0 timeout messages, indicating
everything is working but the interrupts.  I suspect the problem is in
the sound somewhere, as it is also at IRQ 5, the LinkSys (according to
pccardc anyhow) only will use IRQ 5, and there's no way to fiddle with
the sound hardware in the BIOS.  I would say "well, time to get a new
ethercard" except that it worked once...  and I do have access to a 3c589,
which I have set for irq 10, and it acts similarly --- prints out the
ethernet address, the [*UTP*] that I assume indicates its properly in
UTP mode, but pings get "sendto: Host is down" (the host I'm pinging is
the one I'm currently typing this message on ).  Don't even get the device
is busy or allocation failed errors.

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.