Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:36:10 +0300
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
To:        Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com
Cc:        Jeffrey Meltzer <meltzer@icsnet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, izaac@newtonian.ml.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on an HP Vectra VE

On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 11:02:29AM -0500, Branson Matheson wrote:
# On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 10:08:20AM -0500, Jeffrey Meltzer wrote:
# > I'm setting up FreeBSD for the first time, and have hit a small snag in
# > setting up X. When I run the SuperProbe utility, it says there is a SiS
# > 6C205 card, which I have (comes annoyingly with the motherboard on a HP
# > Vectra VE). But, when i run the configure utility, that's not an option,
# > only another SiS card is there. Anyone have any idea as to whether that
# > one is compatable or not?
#  I used the standard svga driver with my VE.  The one that I had used
#  a Cirrus Logic card.  I don't think I had that card however.  We have
#  mutiple XM's and XU's here running fbsd with out a hitch..  and I
#  have used it on other vectras here by netbooting.

However, it won't provide 2mb card capacities, that workaround with that driver.
Neither XFree, nor Xaccel drivers won't do that, - the best solution is to get
some $2x svga, a la S3 or something.
#
# > Also, I just picked the unsupported card option, and when i tried to start
# > X, it told me it couldn't find the mouse, which in setup I put in as
# > /dev/mouse, which is linked to /dev/psm1.
#  Hmmm.. unless you have *two* psm devices ... try /dev/psm0 ;-)

Easy, psm0 isn't active even if it's configured. boot -cv, activate it. This
behaviour is intended one, since some of motherboards will freese if psm is
activated ;-(. Guys, can't it be that psm0 is activated by default, if
configured? I hardly saw 1% if all motherboards which will need this, -
shouldn't it be that if config sees the board, where it is known to be a
problem, it will not enable psm at startup? It's not that hard, but quite
annoying to enable the mouse each time you get new kernel.
#
#   - branson

--
-mishania