Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:11:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        fbsdlist@federation.addy.com (Cliff Addy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preventing spam relaying

In a previous message, Cliff Addy said:
> >>   FR-o /etc/sendmail.cR
> >>
> >>   Scheck_rcpt
> >>   # anything terminating locally is ok
> >>   R< $+ @ $=w >           $@ OK
> >>   R< $+ @ $=R >           $@ OK
> >>
> >>   # anything originating locally is ok
> >>   R$*                     $: $(dequote "" $&{client_name} $)
> >>   R$=w                    $@ OK
> >>   R$=R                    $@ OK
> >>   R$@                     $@ OK
> >>
> >>   # anything else is bogus
> >>   R$*                     $#error $: "550 Relaying Denied"
> >
> >You can also just append the rules themselves to your existing .cf
>
> I tried this, but it seems to have no effect at all.  We are still being
> abused as a relay.  Don't I need to put these rules within some particular
> ruleset?

check_rcpt is the rule set. A couple of things to check:
1) Does /etc/sendmail.cR exist? It should contain a list of machines
that you wish to allow relaying from/to. It doesn't do wild cards
unfortunately.

2) When you put this ruleset in, did you cut/paste or type it? You
*MUST* have tabs (not spaces) between the LH (R< $+ @ $=w >) and the
RH ($@ OK).

3) After you put this in, did you kill and restart sendmail?

--
Q: What's the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?
A: One's an ugly bottom-feeding scum-sucker, and the other's just a fish.